CHRONOLOGICAL OVERVIEW of
short history of TILIA ESTATE
In the year 1974, father Silvester plants 1500 vines of Merlot variety,
with intention of connecting his three sons, living in a town, with
nature and bring them up with a sense for working habits. One of them
- 1987 Matjaž Lemut in the second year of Ljubljana
University and department for agronomy, is during summer assigned
practice on a vine-growing farm ZAHNER in Switzerland.
- In the years 88, 89, 90, there are continuous practices for one or
two months, in the time of winter cutting, summer work and harvest.
- In the year 88 Melita (today his wife) joins in on those practices.
- Melita and Matjaž spend the summer and autumn of 1990 together in a
cellar Raymond California.
- In December 1990, now being absolvents, they decide to buy an estate
without any vineyards in a home land of Vipava valley. (3 ha of land
and a wrecked house). They decide for a life in the countryside.
- In spring 1997, wines with a trading mark TILIA enter the market -
fresh white wines.
- In 2000 first aged red wines; Rubido and Pinot Noir arrive on the
market. ZLATA TILIA (TILIA GOLD) is created.
- In 2001 their wines are exported to USA for the first time, and can
be found in the restaurant of the UNO Americans name the fresh white
wines with a yellow label SUNSHINE TILIA
- In 2006, French barrels are used in the production of Pinot noir for
the first time. Jancis Robinson visits.
- In 2008 they build a new barrique cellar with a capacity of 500
barrels. An agreement about co-existence is achieved with TILIA Mendoza
(Bodegas Esmeralda) and TILIA ESTATE Vipava valley is formed. Tom
Stevensen visits and proclaims Pinot noir 2006 to be the greatest red
wine he has tasted in Slovenia. Melita enrols for a ph degree.
- In 2010, their wines are exported to USA for the tenth time and Pinot
gris is declared to be the best-selling gastronomic Pinot Gris in
Slovenia. They bottle their first harvest of REBULA GRACE 2008 made by
traditional way of skin contact fermentation of white grape.
2014 , the new story of three level of pinot noir is coming
In February 2014 Melita obtained
her Ph.D. degree in Environmental
Sciences at University of Nova Gorica, Slovenia.
The title of her doctoral thesis
was: Canopy microclimate manipulation in
the sustainable management of 'Pinot noir' vineyard in the Vipava